Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Carnivorous Doubts

Warning: The pictures in this post are graphic and may be unsuitable for children.

People in Ovamboland eat meat, and a lot of it. They eat chicken, goat, lamb, cow, pig, dog, fish, and frogs, and they don’t seem to care if they are eating flesh or bones. The only readily available meat that they don’t eat is donkey. Because most Ovambos keep animals, they do not need to go to the store to get dinner. Instead, they catch one of the chickens that is running around the homestead, or take one of goats from the kraal. They kill it, skin it, and cook it right away. When I went to visit Meme Monica (see earlier post), she honored me by killing a goat and roasting it for supper.

I began to wonder, “Could I do that? Could I kill my own meat?” If not, then I had no right to eat meat at all. Eating meat means killing animals, even if your source of meat is Jewel or Stop ‘n’ Shop. Could I do it, I wondered? Ten days ago, I had my chance to find out. My Peace Corps friend, Robin, bought a goat, and I asked if I could be present when it was slaughtered. As it turned out, I not only watched but helped.



Shikuma and Susanna, Robin’s Ovambo friends, arrived around 6pm with a medium-sized, brownish goat which cost about N$500, or US$70. Shikuma walked the goat into Robin’s yard, and we sat it down at the base of a tree while we gathered the knives and bowls we would need. Then he tied the hind legs together, and hoisted the goat upside down over a tree branch, so the blood would drain out quickly. He told us that there were two common ways to kill a goat: you could slice its throat or suffocate it. I asked which one was more humane, and he said the goat felt less pain from the cutting, so we decided to do that one.

Before we killed the goat, I asked if it was customary to say a short prayer first. That seemed logical to me, given all the praying that happens down here. They pray over everything. The kids have to go to church 10 times a week. The school week begins and ends with a prayer. When I went to a professional development workshop on debate, the we prayed. What could be more sacred than the taking of a life to give life? The Ovambos saw things differently. They roared with laughter at the idea of praying for the goat, so I said a little Jewish/Deistic prayer to myself, and then we got started.

With the goat hanging upside down from the tree, Susanna held the forelegs while I gripped the horns tightly in both hands. Shikuma took out the sharpest knife in Robin’s kitchen, which was a chef’s knife. He asked me if I was ready, counted to there, then sliced the neck. It was a clean cut, and within seconds the poor creature’s blood was draining quickly into a bowl we had placed under the tree. The little goat’s body twitched and spasmed several times, but it was all over in a minute’s time. I felt like I was on automatic pilot, holding tightly onto the horns and not feeling much of anything at the time. In fact, I felt some exhilaration that it wasn’t as bad as I had expected.




After about five minutes, when most of the blood had drained, Shikuma showed us how to skin the goat and then cut it into pieces. The killing done, this part of the work was oddly fascinating. The skinning process was pretty straightforward. He began with one long, very shallow cut down the belly, and then slowly worked the skin off as you go around the body. We held the edge of the skin in one hand and curled my other hand into a fist, working it between the flesh and the skin. That felt a little creepy – the body was still quite warm as I pulled the skin from the abdomen and back. Because many of the Ovambos use the skin to make shoes, Shikuma taught us that it was very important not to rip or cut the skin as we went.



Once the skin was off, it was time to cut off the meat and the organs. We started by hacking off the forelegs with a panga, a thick traditional knife approximately 1.5 feet long. Next we cut through the rib cage, and out popped all the innards. It was fascinating how quickly I could identify the various parts: the stomach, large and small intestines looked just like they do in biology textbooks. Shikuma taught us that in the old days, different parts of the goat were reserved for different people. For example, the neighbors got part of the chest, friends get a leg, and so forth. Now, however, those traditions are falling by the wayside.



When we were finished cutting the meat, Shikuma took the head, hooves, stomach and intestines, all parts that Robin didn’t want. We cooked up the liver and the kidneys immediately by pan-frying them with spices, tomato and onion. They were absolutely delicious, and I remember walking away feeling rather pleased that I had been able to help. Ah, I thought fondly, there are some good meat-eating days ahead of me.

The next night, my mother phoned.

I told her proudly about slaughtering the goat. She said that she could never do that, that she could never kill an animal.

“But Mom, I didn’t actually kill it. That is a different thing. I don’t know if I can do that. I only held the horns.”

Dryly, she replied, “Yes, that’s what the Germans were saying in 1945.”

Leave it to a Jewish mother to conflate eating meat with organized genocide. Nonetheless, over the next few days I kept looking at the pictures I took from that night. One in particular troubles me. It is the picture of the goat tied up to the tree and struggling. In the next picture, I’ve zoomed in on the goat’s face. He’s clearly terrified. It’s not clear whether he is merely in pain or if he knows what will happen next. But either way, the look in his eyes is hard to forget.



I’m curious to hear what readers’ thoughts are, especially because I know there are some vegetarians out there. Does this story confirm everything you feel is wrong with eating meat? What about the people here in Ovamboland, who subsist on meat because there isn’t enough rainfall to grow crops regularly? Is it ok for them, but not for those with a choice? My dear dedicated carnivores, have you ever killed your food? If so, how did you feel? If not, could you?

Ten days later, I haven’t become a vegetarian. Some days meat is completely unappetizing, but over the weekend I went to another brai and devoured several slices of beef. I’m still thinking about this whole event, and have come to no conclusions yet. Although I doubt that I'll give up meat, for now I’m really happy when the hostel serves butternut squash instead of fish or beef.

7 comments:

Teresa said...

Josh et al.,

The strange thing about being brought up in modern-day American culture is that we are taught to think that all killing is bad. We seldom give much thought to the necessity of death.

Yet, people, animals, and plants must die so that others can live. This is the world that was created (in whatever fashion), and this is the world we must live in.

There is always a cost to life. The energy we use to grow and develop must come from somewhere. We have to make our peace with what that cost is.

I think the best we can hope for is to cause as little pain and use as little cruelty as possible in the course of our lives.

So, no, I don't have trouble with the death of the goat, so long as it was not a wasteful killing, or a cruel killing.

I do have a problem with killing an animal myself, but that is because I've been trained up to be squeamish about seeing the insides.

For example, I'd have been much happier if you had omitted the picture of the goat's guts after the animal was skinned.

Alia James said...

As a hardcore carnivore, I believe that every one of us should have to kill their meat at some point in their lives. And I have to say (hoping that it doesn't sound condescending), Josh, I am so proud of you. I'm glad you said a prayer for the goat and I'm glad that you're taking the task you performed seriously by thinking about its implications. I hope someday, when I kill an animal, as I believe I *should* do, I will handle it as well as you did.

Dina said...

I agree with what's been said so far - forgive the Disney reference, but there is a "circle of life" (or, if you prefer Harry Chapin, then "all my life's a circle") and I'm sure gazelles in the wild are JUST as scared when a lion is chasing them down as that little guy was.

I do think that we can use animals as a food source without being cruel, and I do try to find out as much as I can about meat before eating it. I stay away from veal and I try to eat as much free range chicken as possible. But,I'm pretty sure Peter Lugers isn't being politcally correct with the steak they serve, so I'd guess some cows had pretty crappy living conditions before I ate them. Does my Jewish guilt about it make up for it?

I don't think I could kill an animal myself, although if I was stranded on a desert island and had no choice I might feel differently. Or maybe if I was hunting and the animal didn't know the kill shot was coming (as opposed to being tied to a tree waiting to be killed, which for some reason feels more cruel, even though I doubt it is).

But, hey, I don't want to grow my own vegetables, either, so I don't think I'm being hypocritcal - just lazy! :-)

Matthew said...

Kat's packing to go to Chicago for the rest of the week, but she wanted to point out that when she was little, she would help her grandmother skin rabbits for pocket change. Killing and skinning a rabbit is very similar to your goat experience, just a little smaller.

During Communism, without the Stop 'n' Shop on the corner, butchering a pig would get a family through the winter. It was a necessity. Even today, one of the most cherished Christmas traditions is to select a live carp from pools in front of grocery stores, which is taken home, lives in the bathtub for a day or so, and is the centerpiece of the Christmas table. Little kids think it's a great pet, until it becomes dinner.

Kat doesn't eat as much meat anymore, but she is with the group that doesn't think the killing of animals would necessarily stop her or convert her to vegetarian, either.

The pictures added context to the story, I think it was needed to connect us more viscerally to the shock and strangeness of Josh's new experience.

keep up the good work!
Matthew & Kat

redpencilgirl said...

The first time -- actually the only time -- I killed an animal was on a fishing expedition in Thailand: I caught a barracuda, which was an exhilharating experience, but then I watched it die in the bottom of the boat, which was horrible. People often laugh when I tell them this story -- it was just a fish, after all -- but I can't emphasize enough how affected I was by the experience. Like you, I felt the need to do something, so I gave a silent apology (in Thai -- my Thai was good back then) along with a wish that it would come back as something better in its next life (I figured it was probably a Buddhist fish...). Then I returned to the guest house with my companions and we had a big and very tasty barracuda dinner.

The first time I saw a goat slaughtered (in Mali), I cried. I was the only one out of our group of foreign tourists to watch the whole thing, and our guide came over to me to make sure I was okay; he and I had a long, quiet conversation about the food chain and the circle of life (for lack of a better phrase; I don't remember what words we used then, and they were probably in French anyway), and I was able to explain to him that I felt it was my duty as an unrepentant omnivore to know -- really know -- where my food comes from.

The closest I've come to your experience was in Kenya, when I helped cut the meat off the hanging carcass. I have yet to skin an animal, or to hold its horns. I don't know that I ever will...but if I'm given the opportunity, I might feel the need to do it for the same reason I've felt the importance of watching.

I have to say that your mom's comment cracked me up! The analogy doesn't work, however, just in case you were feeling yourself lose perspective. Is your mom a vegetarian?

Good for you giving so much thought to something most of us take for granted...and thanks for sharing that thought process with us!

Karen

P.S. Goats are expensive in Namibia!

Anonymous said...

Many a year ago, our Scoutmaster decided we would take a hutch of rabbits along on a weekend camping trip (have I mentioned the joys of growing up in Nevada?)

While said Scoutmaster yielded the ax, we were each--with a partner--to hold the rabbit, skin and gut the rabbit, and then butcher the rabbit. We all then ate the rabbits.

You're right, Josh, when you note that the animal definitely has a look in her eye (his eye?--I'm afraid I never learned). But I wonder if the terror is actually our own that we project onto the animal. We live in a comfortable place on the top of the food chain but that does not mean we never fear falling lower down. Why else would all those space monsters be so scary?

But of course, we have a responsibility since our effects on the food chain are rather more significant than some other top predators. Few species have caused as much extinction as we. Nonetheless, we are omnivores--however we became so.

Once, we all knew the chickens and goats and cattle that eventually served as supper. Trying to know more about our food is part of the struggle against dehumanizing consumerism, yes? Good work--not just for witnessing the slaughter that leads to food, but for sharing your witness. This, Josh, makes your mother's example inapposite for none have admitted to even helping a worthless slaughter--they said it wasn't a slaughter at all.

It reminds me greatly of "Stranger in a Strange Land" in which we are taught to celebrate both the food and the creatures sacrificing themselves to be food for others.

cheers, russell

p.s. I am quite enjoying the blog. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I can't think of anything more to add than what your oh so articulate friends have already said. I agree with them. It's the context of the killing that makes the difference. It is appropriate for this culture. Nor was it a cruel and wasteful slaughter, unlike what I just saw on channel 11 tonite about the way man is killing wild life in the oceans and rivers. That is immoral and stupid not what you described. I did like the prayer, it was a nice touch. And I'll bet the food was great. And yes, the analogy was weak. Don't let it bother you.
Tante XOXO